API 571 (Supplemental Certification � Corrosion & Materials)
The objective of this optional Supplemental Inspection Certification program is to provide documented evidence of advanced (above the basic core API 510, 570, & 653 examinations) knowledge and expertise in the area of Corrosion and Materials based on the information contained in API RP 571.
An API Supplemental Inspection Certification is defined as “Documentation that indicates that minimum requirements have been met for additional qualification in the designated area of expertise”. This would include an API issued letter, certificate, and a wallet card.
- Current certification as either API 510, 570, or 653 inspector.
- Successful completion of the supplemental inspection certification examination by at least 70%, based on fixed pass point.
- Examination tests the applicants for a higher level of technical knowledge and expertise in the subject matter, but not test that they have engineering level competencies.
- Examination questions are straightforward and relevant
- Examination materials are developed and reviewed by Corrosion & Materials subject matter experts to ensure validity and relevance of the examination questions.
Questions become effective when the applicable API documents (namely API RP 571 – any new issue, addenda or rewrite) have been in use for 12 months since issue date.
Renewal of Supplemental Inspection Certification
Certificate renewal is required 3 years from the date of issuance of the applicable API Supplemental inspection Certification. The intent, at this time, is not to require retesting.
Body of Knowledge
The entire RP 571 with the exception of the following sections: 1.1, 3.1, 4.1, 5.2.